Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Fight of Our Lives by William J. Bennett and Seth Leiboshn


I just finished this interesting book. It is a non-fiction, and it is written on a topic about which I don’t normally read books. However, I do try to stay current on what’s happening around the world through daily newspapers and cable news, so it was not completely unfamiliar information to me. The Fight of Our Lives is by William J. Bennett and Seth Leiboshn. You might be more familiar with them through their “Morning in America” radio show where they deal with political issues of the day.
This book challenged me to re-examine some of my viewpoints of the current administration and its foreign policy.  However, I was disappointed by how outdated it seemed, even though it just came out a month ago. I felt as though I was reading an old newspaper or magazine. During the reading of this book, new facts about the pending withdrawal of 30,000 troops from Afghanistan came out and we also received the news of Osama Bin Laden being killed. But I understand it is difficult to write a book on this topic and get it into the hands of the reader before it becomes outdated or even inaccurate information.
I did appreciate the facts concerning the religion of Islam and how past and current administrations have tip-toed around the subject trying not to offend anyone. We need to speak truth, and I sensed the writers gave great insight, such as, “Those who wished to practice their religion here were welcome and free, provided they also followed the laws of the land, remained peaceful, and gave ‘effectual support’ to their country (108).” A powerful point is made in this book that I’ll end with: “Millions of Muslims never take up arms, engage in terrorism, or defend such violence. They should, however, be the first to loudly and unconditionally denounce their coreligionists who do. There are Muslims doing this, and we have the highest praise for their courage and moral clarity. But there are not enough (141).” We of all faiths need to speak truth about the violence and call it for what it is. Who is brave enough among us to stand up? Our American troops around the world are! For that, I am very thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment