Monday, January 30, 2012

What a Son Needs from His Dad: How a Man Prepares His Son for Life by Michael A O’Donnell, PhD

After seeing the movie Courageous this fall, I found What a Son Needs from His Dad to be very inspiring in how I need to be the father God created me to be. The personal stories Dr. O’Donnell shares throughout is balanced by psychological research and study. It wasn’t anything earth shattering but it reminded me where I need to be investing not only my money and energy, but most importantly, my time. I need to be hanging out with my sons in order to realize their likes and dislikes; their fears and struggles; their passions and dreams. This book takes a practical approach to developing the next generation of men in our country. It starts with me. As a father of two young boys I need to be actively pursuing them and engaging them in the issues culture is throwing their way even at a young age. It is evident not only in our schools but all over cartoon network. The author’s desire to dialogue and not come across as being the expert and perfect father was refreshing. I know I can relate much better to someone who failed not once but repeatedly wondering if he will ever get it right. I believe the point of the book is summed up by Dr. O’Donnell in the Preface when he stated, “As we prepare our sons for life, our job is as simple as it is challenging. At its most basic level, our job as fathers involves living in a way that makes a lasting impression on our sons, so that our best ways become their ways (12).” I highly encourage you to check this book out. It’s a short read which will be good for most of us guys. I read it in a matter of a couple of hours but I think its truths will be one I will come back to often as my boys get older. There are nuggets throughout that I’m looking forward to having at my disposal to be challenged and encouraged as a Father. I would like to thank Bethany House Publishers for providing me this book to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment